Sunday, August 9, 2026

Community

 Our house guests are on the road, and our weekend was comfortable and successful!

I had no adverse reactions to my first part of cycle 1 of the new chemo, so was able to do all of the things I wanted to do, like making food for the guests, making sure of every possible comfort for them, cleaning, and going to the Pagan Pride event yesterday.

I have been to every one of these events since moving here, and it is a great pleasure to me to see the community growing by leaps and bounds....especially in OKLAHOMA.

The group I belong to was one of the sponsors, and though I wasn't able to extend any energy to volunteer, it was a pleasure to show up and support my new friends.

Dave did okay with the noise and crowds, but ultimately, he had enough, and we had to leave.  We DID get to see our friend perform, and I got to see some other friends here and there.

Didn't buy anything this year, though, other than a piece I had commissioned from an artist a few months ago that was pre-planned.

It has been extremely hot and dry here, and the grass is suddenly brown.  Which is good, in a way, because it's too hot to mow.

My treatment day last Wednesday was extremely long.  

We were at the clinic for something like 7 and 1/2 hours all together, because they have to do the first treatment very slowly.  

They do this, and they observe me the whole time, to be sure there isn't an immediate bad reaction.  I'm given a bell to ring, in case anything happens while a nurse isn't actively watching me.  

The first hour was spent waiting for a blood test result that has to be run before each infusion.  (There will be an hour wait at the beginning every time I go.  Whee. )

Anyway, the steroid sweats that night were the worst I have ever had, I think, though I DID make sure to tell my doctor's PA that the dose needed to be what it was previously.  

Even the reduced dose caused me to soak through three sets of pajamas, and my sheets and pillows.

I got very little sleep, so I was VERY grateful that our guests were able to delay their arrival, so I could mostly take it easy on Thursday.

After the steroids wore off, though, I actually have been feeling almost normal.  My mouth feels.... different..... more dry, and sensitive, so we will see how that goes.

Part 2 of cycle 1 is Wednesday, and it it only scheduled to be 3 hours, but we shall see.  The day after, I have to go back for the Neulasta injection, which is just a shot in the arm. 

(Neulasta was the ONE THING that made me feel really bad during my first year of chemo)

I am just as pleased as punch that I did not have any ill effects this weekend.   Things may change going forward, but, for today, I am grateful.

We plan to return to the gym tomorrow, and I don't have to be at the clinic until 1pm on Wednesday, so we can go on Wednesday, too!  

I am off to continue putting things back where they were, HAHA..... (taking stuff out of the closets, where it had to be stashed to make room for guests).

Have a great week! 



No comments: