Sunday, August 30, 2026

Modifications

 I saw my oncologist on the day before I returned to the chemo chair last week.

She took note of my rather extensive digestive system side effects, and prescribed two additional medications to ease the symptoms, as well as ordered a lower dose of the chemo for the second round.

I had the first part of my two-part treatment on Wednesday, and, though I was there for SIX HOURS (for a 3 hour treatment), due to delays in the lab and pharmacy, all went well, and I have felt pretty well since.

Treatment night was mostly sleepless, but I know that's the norm, and is not unexpected.  Cold sweats and insomnia are the rule.

My hair was mostly all gone by the time I saw the doctor, too, and we shaved the rest of it off, because all that was left were whisps here and there, and it was a LOT uglier than a bald head.

I know it was hard for Dave to help me with this, but he was a trooper, and did most of the the job for me.

We got to the gym all three days last week, and plan to do the same this coming week.  I know, now, that my next Friday work out, after I receive the Neulasta injection, will be subdued, but I also know that I can still get some activity and exercise in, despite how the Neulasta makes me feel.

The addition of pepcid and clairtin really made a difference, so I will continue that, for sure.

In other news, there was one surviving baby wren, and it fledged on Friday!  I have named it Hope, and I really HOPE that it is out there somewhere, growing and thriving.

I chased the neighbors' cat away at least a dozen times on Friday, so there's that worry, but there is nothing to be done for it now.

It's been so quiet since the wrens left..... we had gotten used to a lot of bird activity and noise (the parent wrens making "angry bird" sounds to protect the nest), and now it's just.... over. 

The symbolism of it all, though, will never leave me.  The timing was immaculate, and I am SO glad that the extreme heat didn't kill ALL of the chicks.

We went from 5 eggs, to three tiny hatchlings, to two nestlings, to one surviving fledgling.... and it was so cool to be part of it all!

After a very brief respite from the heat a few days ago, we are back to over 100F every day for the foreseeable future.....this has been one of the worst summers on record for days over 100.  I really, sincerely, hate it. 

They are saying we will see 100F every day at least until the third week of September.

BUT, going to the gym really helps with my cabin fever.  To be around people, even if we don't really interact, and to get my walks in, even if it's on an indoor track, is MUCH better than just endlessly sitting at home, out of the sun and heat.

An added bonus to both the Wellness study that I did back in the spring, and now going to the gym consistently, is that I have lost ten pounds.  I needed to lose that weight, so it's not anything to be concerned about, and is not related to my treatment.

I feel a lot more comfortable in my skin than I did six months ago.  I still do a lot of the exercises I learned during the study, and have the added advantage now of access to the equipment of the gym.

I also know that I am a lot stronger, and can see and feel great muscle tone in areas where I had lost it from being too sedentary.

It also benefits my mental health, both as I mentioned above, AND by seeing the progress I have made.

Anyway, that's about all I have for you today.  I will be back in the chemo chair on Wednesday, then go in for my Neulasta on Thursday, then I get the week after next "off."

Have a lovely week! 



No comments: