Sunday, August 23, 2026

...sigh....

 Well, the chemo side effects really kicked in shortly after I posted last week.  

What had been a bit of mild digestive upset turned into painful cramping, and diarrhea multiple times per day and night.  It was not what I would call severe, like I had with the chemo pill during the winter, but definitely NOT NORMAL, and very uncomfortable/discomforting.

I was able to bring it under control, for the most part, using imodium and metamucil, but the cramping was still an issue.

SO--it has not been a fun week, to say the least.

My hair also started falling out heavily, so I got it cut short, and now can see my scalp through what's left of it.  My guess is that it will all be gone by the time I see my doctor on Tuesday.

I had not anticipated being bald again, but here we are.  None of the other treatments I have had for the past ten years have caused this level of hair loss.  Sigh.

It hurts my heart, and having to throw away expensive shampoo and conditioner for curly hair sucked, too...but I won't need it again for several years, so it had to go.

I go outside a few times a day and remove the loose hair, so it's not all over the house.  

Seeing the longer hair still in piles on the patio is a bit distressing, but it will eventually blow away.  That was why I got it cut short....I remember that it was easier to deal with falling out when it's short.

A dear friend in Michigan is sending me a box of scarves and what not, as I donated most of my scarves years ago.  I also got some bandannas. 

Thankfully, I don't have to go back to the chemo chair until Wednesday, and my guts seem to be better today.  So far.

Despite my tummy issues, we were able to go to the gym all three of our usual days, and, on Thursday, we finally got to the special exhibit at the art museum!  It was lovely.

The weather has continued to be extremely hot and dry, with daily highs over 100F.  Today will not be any different, in the long run, but this morning, it was 74, so the windows were open for a little while.

I have been putting out water for birds and bugs, and the wrens seem to be finding ample food for their two surviving nestlings!  

The babies are getting bigger, and louder!  At first, their tiny voices were just barely audible, but now, I can hear them even with the windows closed and music playing in the house.  It's so exciting, and fun, and heartening, to have them here!

I will be making a new-to-me recipe today for "Cafeteria noodles" with broccoli.  I don't remember cafeteria noodles from my school days, but apparently, they were a thing in the 90s.  It looks really comforting, and I need that however I can get it.

Have the best week you can, and I pledge to try to do the same! 


No comments: